Friday, October 14, 2011

Day 2 - 5K - Back to Basics

Apart from being mammals, I have two odd similarities with dogs. I swim doggie paddle like a dog and pant like one while running. My legs were not hurting; I was able to keep up the pace except for the breathing. The Lazy-Me wanted to move to a group that walked for two minutes and ran for one. There is no pushing myself in that space and consequently no benefits either. The Idealist-Me wanted to work on my breathing. Only time will tell who won in the end or even which one was a better decision for me in the long run.

We ran for 4 minutes, walked a minute and repeated the same for the next 20 minutes. No matter what philosophers tell you about time, a minute is not long enough.

Lung capacity is not one of the greatest strengths in my side of the family tree. There are numerous cases of asthma. I had asthma when I was younger and grew out of it in my mid-twenties. There are tons of tips on improving breathing techniques on the internet highway. I know well, I can't solve this in one post but made a pact with myself to head to the Friday Yoga class today at my local gym.

5 comments:

  1. Looks like I found you toward the beginning of your running journey. Congrats on taking the first steps, which always suck the most. I promise it gets better. FWIW, I'm a dog paddler too. On my best day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great job on the run! I am a big fan of the run/walk method (aka Galloway-ing)...whatever it takes to get those miles in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Woo-hoo! here's to the beginning if this journey. hooking into the run blog community will give you so much strength & support. it's pretty awesome.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The run/ walk combination is the best way to start off. With this you will see improvements pretty fast, and your stamina would also become very good. Soon you would be running more and walking less. Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Run Walk Run. I wish I could do that. I am not sure if Yoga helps with lung capacity though.

    ReplyDelete